After many big competitions like UEFA EURO 2020, Copa America changed their dates. The Fifa Club World Cup 21 will finally kick off on 3rd Feb 2022 and this delay was arisen due to a late cancellation of plan by the Japan Football Association. Because of the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic in Japan, it was very critical. There were chances of restrictions on allowing spectators inside the stadium. Although Japan has hosted this competition for a maximum number of times, 8. However many other countries wanted to host it.
The FIFA council then reopened the bidding for hosting. UAE was then announced as the host of the tournament. Although the tournament was postponed from late 2021 to early 2022. Since 2013, the club who has won the UEFA champions league has gone on to win the FIFA Club World Cup. Bayern Munich were the champions of the FIFA Club World Cup 2020. Real Madrid has won this competition 4 times
This competition was first started in the year 2000, hosted in Brazil. By organising this competition FIFA gives an opportunity to every football club around the globe to showcase their talent. Every football club wishes to take part in it. This stage given to the football clubs also gives an opportunity to the fans supporting their club to showcase their value for it across the world. Initially, when started, it did not have any qualification structure. Clubs around the globe who achieved success in their continents were invited. Since FIFA made it clear that this competition will take place every year it designed a proper structure.
This structure gave an equal chance to the football clubs to try and participate in the tournament. Further the qualifications process for the competition has been explained in detail and also how the teams made it through to the competition.
To qualify for the FIFA Club World cup, teams have to win their respective confederation’s tournaments. One team is the representative of the host nation. There are a total six confederations recognised by FIFA. For this edition of the tournament:-
- Winners of UEFA champions league 20-21 – Chelsea (Semi-Finals)
- The champions of Copa CONMEBOL Libertadores 20-21 – Palmeiras ( Semi-Finals)
- Winner of CAF champions league 20-21 – Al Ahly (Second Round)
- AFC Champions League winner 20-21 – Al Hilal (Second Round)
- CONCACAF Champions League winner 20-21 – Monterrey (Second Round)
- OFC Champions league winner 20-21 – AS Pirae (First Round)
- Host representative – Al Jazira (First Round)
- Chelsea – After having a wonderful season, they got their hands on the beautiful trophy of UEFA Champions League after defeating Pep Guardiola’s side in the Final.
- Palmeiras – Palmeiras won the Libertadores final after defeating Flamengo with help of a winner scored in the extra time.
- Al Ahly SC – They won the CAF champions league finals after an easy win with all the goals coming in the second half.
- AL Hilal – Beating Pohang Steelers in the finals of AFC champions secured their place in the competition.
- Monterrey – Won the CONCACAF champions league finals with an early goal scored in the 9th minute.
- AS Pirae – AS Pirae was nominated by the OFC for this edition of the competition as their OFC champions league was not held due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Al Jazira – The representative from the host country has won the UAE pro league.